Top 41 SEO Interview Questions And Answers In 2019: Here are the top interview questions of SEO. Be prepared for the interview. You can download the entire questions in a pdf format. so guys All the best for your interview.
1) What is SEO?
According to Moz, SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is:
” the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.”
Quality of traffic. It’s about being targeted. Having the right people clicking the website who have demonstrated an interest in the site’s content (product or service).
The quantity of traffic. Once it’s the right people, the more the better.
Organic results. People trust the organic search results more than they do the paid ads. You get more clicks and better conversions. Most importantly, a better ROI.
2) What does SEO stand for?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization
3) How would you explain SEO to a beginner?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a form of digital marketing where you optimize a website so that Google decides that website gives the best value to searchers and positions the page at the top of the search engine results.
It’s achieved through technical and structural changes to the website, by writing content so Google understands what the page is about and also by the type and number of websites that link to it.
4) Why is SEO so important?
Top 41 SEO Interview Questions And Answers In 2019: This is probably the most pertinent SEO interview question you’ll be asked…
Almost everyone uses Google to search for products and services. Searchers trust the results of a Google search, so much so, less than 5% of people bother to check page 2 of the search results.
By having your business at the top of the search results you allow people who are interested in your product or services to find your business.
If that’s your website or business that means making more sales without high marketing costs.
5) What is a search engine?
Google defines a search engine as:
6) What is Cross-linking and what is the function of Crosslinking?
- Cross-linking is the process of linking one site to another site.
- It provides users with reference sites that contain the content related to the search.
- The 2 websites cross-linking do not be owned by the same person.
- In other words, cross-linking is a barter wherein I link to you and you link to me.
- It could be a 2-way link or 3-way link. In a 2-way link site A links to site B and site B links to site A. In a 3-way link, site A links to site B, site B links to site C and site C links to site A.
7) What is the main purpose of using keyword in SEO?
Top 41 SEO Interview Questions And Answers In 2019: Keyword is a single word, and while a combination of those keywords makes phrases. These keywords or phrases are used by the search engines to populate the subjects over the internet. Search engine stores keywords in the database, and when the search is done, it will come up with the best possible match.
8) Can you mention the functions of body content relevance?
Whenever there is a text that does not have images on the web page is referred as body content relevance or non-image text. It helps in good optimization of the sites and also to improve your ranking in the search engine.
9) What are Spiders, Robots and Crawlers and what are their functions?
Spiders, robot and crawler, they are all same and referred by different names. It is a software program that follows or “Crawls” different links throughout the internet, and then grabs the content from the sites and adds to the search engine indexes.
10) What does it mean if nothing appears on doing search on the domain?
On doing search on your domain and if nothing appears then there are three possibilities.
- Maybe the site is banned by search engines
- Maybe no index by search engines
- Some canonical issues
11) Differentiate between a do-follow and a no-follow link
Ans. A do-follow link acts a backlink that is counted by search engines and help in enhancing the ranking of a site.
A no-follow link, usually, does influence the ranking in search engine index.
12) What is an anchor text?
Ans. It is the clickable text in a hyperlink. It should be relevant to the page linked to, rather than generic text.
13) What is 301 redirect?
Ans. A method by which a user is redirected to new URL from old URL.
14) What are the common SEO mistakes?
- Not optimizing for right keywords
- Not having unique title tags and meta descriptions
- Using the same anchor text for every link
- Focusing on link quantity over link quality
- Using poorly-written content
15) What is Googlebot?
Ans. It is a kind of software used by the Google as a search bot to index a webpage.
16) What is webmaster tool in SEO?
Top 41 SEO Interview Questions And Answers In 2019: A webmaster is a free service by Google which provides free Indexing data, backlinks information, crawl errors, search queries, CTR, website malware errors and submits the XML sitemap. It is a collection of SEO tools that allow you to control your site in Google as well as allows Google to communicate with webmasters. For example, if anything goes wrong like crawling mistakes, plenty of 404 pages, manual penalties, and malware identified, Google will speak to you through this tool. If you use GWT, you don’t need to use some other costlier tools. So, it is a free toolset that helps you understand what is going on with your site by providing useful information about your site.
17) What do you mean by Spider?
Many search engines use programs called spiders to index websites. The spiders are also known as crawlers or robots. They act as automatic date searching tools that visit every site to find new or updated web pages and links. This process is called web crawling. Spiders follow hyperlinks and gather textual and meta information for the search engine databases. They collect as much information as they can before relaying to the server of the search engine.
Spiders may also rate the content being indexed to help the search engine determine relevancy levels to a search. They are called spiders as they visit many sites simultaneously, i.e. their legs keep spanning a large area of the web. All search engines use spiders to revise and build their indexes.
18) What are Meta Tags?
Meta tags are the HTML tags that are used to provide information about the content of a webpage. They are the basic elements of SEO. Meta tags are incorporated in the “head” section of HTML, e.g. <head>Meta tags are placed here</head>.
The Meta tags are of three types. Each tag provides specific information about the content of the page. For example:
- Title Tag: It is the most important of all the Meta tags. It tells search engines about the title your webpage, and it is displayed in search engine listings above the URL of your webpage or website. For example: <title>Title text</title>
- Description Meta tag: The summary of your site or webpage is incorporated in this tag. It enables the search engine to display a brief description of your page in the SERPs. Through this tag, you tell users what your site is all about and what you are offering. For example: <meta name=”description” content = “your site’s summary”/>
- Keywords Meta tag: In this tag, you place all of your main keywords and phrases that describe the content of your webpage. For example: <meta name=”keywords” content=”keywords”/>
19) Why is the title tag valuable?
Top 41 SEO Interview Questions And Answers In 2019: A title tag is an HTML element that is used to specify the title of a page. It is displayed on search engine result pages as a clickable heading just above the URL and at the top of the browser.
In SEO, the title tag is significant. It is highly recommended to include a unique and relevant title that correctly describes the content of a webpage or a website. Thus, it tells the users and search engines about the nature or type of information contained in your webpage.
An ideal title should be between 50 and 60 characters long. You can also place your primary keywords at the start of your title and put the least important keywords at the end. It is the first thing that a search engine analyzes before ranking your webpage.
20) Does Google use the keyword meta tags?
No, Google does not use the keyword meta tags in web search rankings. It is believed that Google ignores the meta tags keywords due to their misuse.
21) Why the Title Tag in website is valuable?
Title tags are very essential in SEO, as it tells about the contents on that web page. Through title tags only the search engine will tell the user, what is there in the page.
22) What is considered as more significant, creating content or building backlinks?
Both are necessary, creating quality content is equally important to building backlinks. Although, building backlinks are useful in building authority to a site and for ranking as well, quality content is the first element that is considered to be more responsible for ranking.
23) Can you mention the difference between SEO and SEM?
SEM (Search Engine Marketing), it is used for the promotion of website through paid advertising by increasing their visibility in Search Engine Result Page (SERP) in the Ads section. While SEO is optimizing the site to increase the organic ranking of a site.
24) What do you know about LSI?
LSI stands for Latent Semantic Indexing. This technique is established to obtain the data by relating the word to its closest counterparts or to its similar context. For example, if you are searching for something with a keyword “CAR” it will show all the related things like classic cars, car auctions, Bentley car, car race, etc.
25) How will you cross-check whether your SEO campaign is working or not?
To check whether your SEO campaign is working or not, the first approach is to check the website’s statistics, which tells you about the origin of the traffic. The other way of checking is to make a search based on the relevant keywords and key phrases and look for the search result. The number of search result will tell you whether your SEO campaign is working or not.
26) What methods should you use to decrease the loading time of a website?
We should follow the following instructions to decrease the loading time of a website:
- Optimize images: You can optimize images and decrease the file size without affecting the quality of that image. You can use the external picture tools to resize your images such as the Photoshop, picresize.com and more. Furthermore, use fewer images (avoid them unless necessary).
- Use browser caching: Caching involves temporary storages of web pages that help reduce bandwidth and improve performance. When a visitor visits your site, the cached version is presented that saves the server’s time and loads pages faster. So, use browser caching to make the process easier and faster for your repeat visitors.
- Use a content delivery network: It allows you to distribute your site across several servers in different geographical areas. When visitors request to visit your site, they will get the data from the server closest to them. The closer a server, the more quickly it loads.
- Avoid self-hosted videos: Video files are usually large, so if you upload them to your web pages it can increase their loading time. You can use other video services like Youtube, Vimeo, etc.
- Use CSS sprites to reduce HTTP request: It allows you to combine some images within a single image file by implementing CSS positioning of background. It helps you to save your server bandwidth and thus loading time of the webpage decreases gradually.
27) Which tool should be preferred between Webmaster and Analytics?
Webmaster tool should be preferred over Analytics tool because it includes almost all essential tools as well as some analytics data for the search engine optimization. But now due to the inclusion of webmaster data in Analytics, we would like to have access to Analytics.
28) What is the main usage of search engine spiders?
Top 41 SEO Interview Questions And Answers In 2019: A spider is a program used by search engines to index websites. It is also called a crawler or search engine robot. The main usage of search engine spiders is to index sites. It visits the websites and read their pages and creates entries for the search engine index. They act as data searching tools that visit websites to find new or updated content or pages and links.
Spiders do not monitor sites for unethical activities. They are called spiders as they visit many sites simultaneously, i.e., they keep spanning a large area of the web. All search engines use spiders to build and update their indexes.
29) When is reinclusion applied in a search engine’s index?
If your website is banned by the search engines for using black hat practices and you have corrected the wrongdoings, you can apply for reinclusion. So, it is a process in which you ask the search engine to re-index your site that was penalized for using black hat SEO techniques. Google, Yahoo, and other search engines offer tools where webmasters can submit their site for reinclusion.
30) What is robot.txt?
Robots.txt is a text file that gives instructions to the search engine crawlers about the indexing of a webpage, domain, directory or a file of a website. It is generally used to tell spiders about the pages that you don’t want to be crawled. It is not mandatory for search engines, yet search engine spiders follow the instructions of the robots.txt.
The location of this file is very significant. It must be located in the main directory otherwise the spiders will not be able to find it as they do not search the whole site for a file named robots.txt. They only check the main directory for these files, and if they don’t find the files in the main directory, they assume that the site does not have any robots.txt file and index the whole site.
31) What are the criteria for the uniqueness of a page?
Ans. Some of the criteria for the uniqueness of a page are code similarity, text similarity, page names, titles, headings, page titles and metatags.
32) Name some of the few black hat techniques that one should avoid
Ans. Link farming, doorway pages, cloaking, keyword stuffing and hidden text
33) How to remove toxic links to a site?
Ans. First use a link checker tool to find out the toxic links to the site, then use the ‘Google Disavow’ tool to remove the link.
34) What to do if your website is banned by the search engines for black hat practices?
Ans. Apply for re-inclusion after rectifying the wrong doings.
35) What is XML Sitemap? How is it important?
Ans. XML or Extensible Markup Language is primarily created to facilitate the functionality of the search engines.
A good XML sitemap informs the search engines about the number of pages present on a specific website, the frequency of their updates and the time of the last modifications performed on them, which helps in proper indexing of the website by the search engines.
36) What are the key aspects of Panda update?
Panda is to improve the search on Google. The latest version has focused on quality content, proper design, proper speed, proper use of images and many more.
37) What are the key aspects of Penguin update?
Top 41 SEO Interview Questions And Answers In 2019: Penguin is the code name for Google algorithm. Its main target is to decrease the ranking of that website that are violating the Google Webmaster guidelines. These guidelines are violated by using black hat techniques like cloaking and stuffing.
38) How will you neutralize a toxic link to your site?
Through Backlink Quality Checker you can know who links to your website. Now, you have to go to ‘ Toxic link’ report, where you will find all the links, that are harmful to your websites. If there is any link in ‘ Toxic link report’ that matches with the link on your website, then you can remove it by using ‘Google Disavow tool’.
39) Mention how can you check if someone is not building or re-directing a low-quality backlink to your site?
To prevent someone from building or re-directing a low-quality links to your site, you can use tools like,
- Open Site Explorer
On regular intervals. You can either request the webmaster to remove the bad link or disavow them.
40) How backlink tools work?
Backlink tools run a series of tests to tell you how many backlinks are pointing to the web link you entered. Additional information is also being collected like anchor text used, Domain Authority & Trust of the backlink source, and any potential flags or warnings for each individual link.
41) Why is anchor text important to SEO?
Search engines (specifically Google) will use the anchors as an indicator of the page’s topic a web page is linking to. This will determine which keywords they will rank the site for and therefore determines the quality/relevancy of the traffic a site gets.
However, although you need to signal to Google the keywords that are your focus, you need to make it look natural because Google will punish a website that has an unnatural anchor profile because it will be a signal that some of those links are not organically gained.