Top 34 Linux Interview Questions: Here are the top interview questions of Linux. Be prepared for the interview. You can download the entire questions in a pdf format. so guys All the best for your interview.
1) What is Linux?
2) What is the difference between UNIX and Linux?
UNIX was originally started as a propriety operating system for Bell Laboratories, which later release their commercial version while Linux is a free, open source and a non-propriety operating system for the mass uses.
3) What is Linux Kernel?
Linux Kernel is low-level system software. It is used to manage the hardware resources for the users. It provides an interface for user-level interaction.
4) Is it legal to edit Linux Kernel?
Yes. You can edit Linux Kernel because it is released under General Public License (GPL) and anyone can edit it. It comes under the category of free and open source software.
5) What is LILO?
Top 34 Linux Interview Questions LILO is a boot loader for Linux. It is used to load the Linux operating system into the main memory to begin its operations.
6) What is a swap space?
Swap space is a certain amount of space used by Linux to temporarily hold some programs that are running concurrently. This happens when RAM does not have enough memory to hold all programs that are executing.
7) What is the advantage of open source?
Open source allows you to distribute your software, including source codes freely to anyone who is interested. People would then be able to add features and even debug and correct errors that are in the source code. They can even make it run better and then redistribute these enhanced source code freely again. This eventually benefits everyone in the community.
8 ) What are the basic components of Linux?
Just like any other typical operating system, Linux has all of these components: kernel, shells and GUIs, system utilities, and an application program. What makes Linux advantageous over other operating system is that every aspect comes with additional features and all codes for these are downloadable for free.
9) Does it help for a Linux system to have multiple desktop environments installed?
Top 34 Linux Interview Questions In general, one desktop environment, like KDE or Gnome, is good enough to operate without issues. It’s all a matter of preference for the user, although the system allows switching from one environment to another. Some programs will work in one environment and not work on the other, so it could also be considered a factor in selecting which environment to use.
10) What is the basic difference between BASH and DOS?
The key differences between the BASH and DOS console lie in 3 areas:
– BASH commands are case sensitive while DOS commands are not;
– Under BASH, / character is a directory separator and \ acts as an escape character. Under DOS, / serves as a command argument delimiter and \ is the directory separator
– DOS follows a convention in naming files, which is 8 character file name followed by a dot and 3 characters for the extension. BASH follows no such convention.
11) Name the Linux which is specially designed by the Sun Microsystems.
Solaris is the Linux of Sun Microsystems.
12) Name the Linux loader.
LILO is the Linux loader.
13) If you have saved a file in Linux. Later you wish to rename that file, what command is designed for it?
The ‘mv’ command is used to rename a file.
14) Write about an internal command.
The commands which are built in the shells are called as the internal commands.
15) Define inode.
Each file is given a unique name by the operating system which is called as the inode.
16) How can you find out how much memory Linux is using?
Top 34 Linux Interview Questions From a command shell, use the “concatenate” command: cat /proc/meminfo for memory usage information. You should see a line starting something like Mem: 64655360, etc. This is the total memory Linux thinks it has available to use.
You can also use commands
free - m vmstat top htop
to find current memory usage
17) What is a typical size for a swap partition under a Linux system?
The preferred size for a swap partition is twice the amount of physical memory available on the system. If this is not possible, then the minimum size should be the same as the amount of memory installed.
18) What are symbolic links?
Symbolic links act similarly to shortcuts in Windows. Such links point to programs, files or directories. It also allows you instant access to it without having to go directly to the entire pathname.
19) Does the Ctrl+Alt+Del key combination work on Linux?
Yes, it does. Just like Windows, you can use this key combination to perform a system restart. One difference is that you won’t be getting any confirmation message and therefore, a reboot is immediate.
20) How do you refer to the parallel port where devices such as printers are connected?
Top 34 Linux Interview Questions Whereas under Windows you refer to the parallel port as the LPT port, under Linux you refer to it as /dev/lp . LPT1, LPT2 and LPT3 would therefore be referred to as /dev/lp0, /dev/lp1, or /dev/lp2 under Linux.
21) What is the basic difference between BASH and DOS?
- BASH commands are case sensitive while DOS commands are not case sensitive.
- DOS follows a convention in naming files. In DOS, 8 character file name is followed by a dot and 3 characters for the extension. BASH doesn’t follow such convention.
22) What is a root account?
The root account is like a system administrator account. It provides you full control of the system. You can create and maintain user accounts, assign different permission for each account, etc.
23) What is CLI?
CLI stands for Command Line Interface. It is an interface that allows users to type declarative commands to instruct the computer to perform operations.
24) What is the GUI?
GUI stands for Graphical User Interface. It uses the images and the icons which are clicked by the users to communicate with the system. It is more attractive and user-friendly because of the use of images and icons.
25) Which popular office suite is available free for both Microsoft and Linux?
Open Office Suite is available free for both Microsoft and Linux. You can install it on both of them.
26) What is the maximum length for a filename under Linux?
Any filename can have a maximum of 255 characters. This limit does not include the path name, so therefore the entire pathname and filename could well exceed 255 characters.
27)What are filenames that are preceded by a dot?
Top 34 Linux Interview Questions In general, filenames that are preceded by a dot are hidden files. These files can be configuration files that hold important data or setup info. Setting these files as hidden makes it less likely to be accidentally deleted.
28) Explain virtual desktop.
This serves as an alternative to minimizing and maximizing different windows on the current desktop. Using virtual desktops can clear the desktop when you can open one or more programs. Rather than minimizing/restoring all those programs as needed, you can simply shuffle between virtual desktops with programs intact in each one.
29) How do you share a program across different virtual desktops under Linux?
To share a program across different virtual desktops, in the upper left-hand corner of a program window look for an icon that looks like a pushpin. Pressing this button will “pin” that application in place, making it appear in all virtual desktops, in the same position onscreen.
30) What does a nameless (empty) directory represent?
This empty directory name serves as the nameless base of the Linux file system. This serves as an attachment for all other directories, files, drives, and devices.
31) Is Linux Operating system virus free?
No, There is no operating system till date that is virus free, but Linux is known to have less number of viruses.
32) Which partition stores the system configuration files in Linux system?
33) Which command is used to uncompress gzip files?
gunzip command is used to uncompress gzip files.
34) Why do developers use MD5 options on passwords?
MD5 is an encryption method, so it is used to encrypt the passwords before saving.